Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Of Doughnuts and Cupcakes

Of Doughnuts & Cupcakes

Ok.  I lied.  This isn’t actually about doughnuts and cupcakes.  Seriously though, If I told you my subject in the title I’m afraid you wouldn’t keep reading.  But now that I’ve given you a teaser you have to keep reading, because you’re curious.  Yea!  I win!  You see, my subject is a little less sweet—more like brussel sprouts.  Good for you, but not nearly as yummy as doughnuts & cupcakes!  So without further ado, (and now that you’re hooked!) I’ll begin..please hang with me.  

Project Show Up!
How Mother’s Can Effect the Political Process

For reasons unknown, my 5 year old has started requesting that we listen not to stories and music on the way to school, but to the local news station.  He especially likes to know what the weather’s going to be, and if there are any accidents on the roads.  I don’t mind listening to those-I want to know too!  It’s when the “real” news comes on that I start to squirm, switch back to Curious George, and wonder (again) just what type of world I have brought my 3 beautiful boys into, and how they are going to navigate their way through it.  Sigh.  How sad.

But wait! The question isn’t the lamenting “what have I brought my children into”, but the empowering “what am I going to do about it?”  Because in the end, the outcome of political elections and public policies directly effect the subject of my greatest passion-my family.  Don’t believe me? Take a look at this-I recently went to congress.org and searched for family related Bills and Resolutions under current legislation.  Below are the keywords and the number of bills and resolutions related to each.

Education 2596
Family 1408
Foster Care   106
Mental Health 388
Mothers 130
Religion 260
Special Education  86

That is a lot issues that could effect my family!

Now what?  How do we become involved in shaping the world our children are living in?  And how, FOR THE LOVE, are we supposed to choose leaders among women and men who are whining, complaining, and name-calling on a national stage?! Honestly, if I want to see that type of behavior, I can pop some popcorn, sit in my living room, and watch my 3 little boys decide who gets to play with the “good” toy car!

Searching out some answers involved a long distance trek——all the way across my neighborhood! My wonderful neighbor Enid Greene Mickelson served as a congresswoman in the 104th Congress in 1995.  She was the 3rd woman from Utah to serve in congress, and the 1st Republican woman from Utah to do so. Enid currently serves as one of Utah’s representatives on the Republican National Committee.  Lucky for me (and you!)  Enid agreed to sit down with me for a discussion about the importance of mother’s in the political process and policy making.  Below are questions and answers from our conversation, as well as an action plan to get you started!  



Q & A With Enid Greene Mickelson

How did you become involved in the political process?

“This is going to sound funny, but you talk about the Power of mothers’-it was my grandmother.  I knew she paid attention to it.  That was something that stuck with me, that my grandmother loved this country, and she would talk about the importance of going to vote.  I remember too, going with my mother when I was just a little girl, going into those big old clunky voting machines.  That left an impression on me as a child, that I would go to vote with my Mom.”


Why do we need more women, specifically mother’s to be involved in the political and policy making process?

“Women have a different perspective- that is one of the reasons we need more women involved in the public sector, not fewer.  Because we as mom’s are used to having to try to conciliate.  We are generally a little bit more emotionally aware in some respects than the men are.  We have a different skill set.  Those skill sets are very much needed.  It can't be all about who pounds the lectern the hardest or shouts the loudest. And we have that power.  If we would just exercise it.  53% of voters are women.  Think-if we would just show up more, what kind of impact we could have. We can impact the tone of the room.  The more women in the room the less likely you are to have the fist pounding, and raised voices.  We generally don't do it that way.  We make our influence felt in a different way.  It is so needed.”

What suggestions do you have about where to start, and how to become involved in the political process and policy making?

Show Up-so much of this seems harder and more complicated than it is.  Don’t be put off with that. If you stick a toe in the water, usually you find out, “this isn’t nearly as hard as I thought.  I have an opportunity here to make a bit of a difference.”  You don’t have to be an expert overnight.  

I do believe there are seasons in our lives.  We want to have it all.  But we can’t have it all at the same time.  You have to choose how much time you have at each stage of your life, and your child’s life.  Maybe the time for you to run for office is not now, or ever.  But you can always do a little something. You can write a letter to the editor.  You can take your kids for a walk to pass out fliers for a candidate you support.  Just keep at it.”

This year is an election year.  How can we narrow down all of the information out there, so that we can be informed when we head to the polls on November 8th

“There is no one book that you’re going to pick up that’s going to be “the one.”  It’s like anything else- you’ve got to spend a little time yourself figuring out what work’s for you.  And that’s frustrating for people, because we all feel like we don’t have time for anything.  But you don’t have to be a policy expert overnight.  One of the problems we have right now is it is too easy for people to find the voices that simply reinforce what they already believe.  It can’t be so simple all the time.  You need to challenge yourself occasionally.  You need to say “okay this other person isn’t someone I would usually agree with, but have I thought this through?” What I tell people, is when your trying to find the facts, never get all of your information from one source.  I take bits and pieces from different places, and after awhile, anyone will feel comfortable in saying “this is a source I can get good information from.”




Project Show Up!

             Look at this simple list of next actions.  Figure out where you are, then take the next step today! 


I
I
I
V


I
I
I
V

Research where candidates stand on issues important to you and your family.  Look at multiple sources (yes, even the one’s you may not agree with!)
I
I
I
V

VOTE!
I
I
I
V

Choose one or two issues you are particularly interested in or passionate about. 
I
I
I
V

Sign up for e-mail updates from your city council, state legislature, and congress on those issues.  
I
I
I
V
Respectfully share your thoughts, opinions, and solutions with policymakers working on policies related to issues you have an interest in.

No comments:

Post a Comment